One way to think about the concept of branding is as the expression of the essential meaning or value of an organization.
Logos, colors, typography, photographs, and words used to describe an organization and its work are all ways to communicate that brand.
For the College of Liberal Arts & Sciences, the brand draws upon the College mission statement and communicates our identity. The College also adheres to the UNC Charlotte brand standards.
College Mission Statement
The College of Liberal Arts & Sciences advances the discovery, dissemination, and application of knowledge and creativity and – by building the academic programs for tomorrow – educates students to be critical and imaginative thinkers and engaged citizens for a world increasingly characterized by diversity and change.
In 2008, UNC Charlotte initiated an ongoing process to strengthen the university’s brand in the Charlotte region and beyond. This focus has emphasized the university’s growth as a preeminent urban research university that also is committed to educational access and to the enhancement of the economic, civic and cultural vitality of the region.
The university periodically revises its policies and brand standards related to marketing and communications — including print, web-based and email marketing. These include:
- Electronic standards. This section includes guidelines for email signatures, electronic letterhead (including for CLAS) and Powerpoint templates.
- Web standards. This section includes a web styleguide and sub-domain guidelines. Other information on websites can be found in the Social Media and Web section of this toolkit.
- Print standards. This section includes the Identity Standards Guide for the university. Within this document, you will find a diagram that shows how much space around the logo should be left clear of competing text and images; the logo color guidelines; and other items.
- Sub-brand logos. This section includes a downloadable folder, including templates for business cards, envelopes, letterhead, and logos.
- The University is called The University of North Carolina at Charlotte or UNC Charlotte. We do not use UNCC or UNC-Charlotte or other abbreviations when referring to the university.
- The College is the College of Liberal Arts & Sciences (using the ampersand, not spelling out the word “and.”) We do use CLAS on second reference in some cases.
- When placing the logo into a document, slide, website or elsewhere, do not “pull” the image. That can distort it. Use the resizing tools.
- With the logos, the official colors are white and PMS 349 green. This PMS 349 is the only acceptable shade of green for representing the logo in printed pieces. The logo also may be presented in all green, all black or all white.