Event Planning and Marketing
UNC Charlotte’s College of Liberal Arts & Sciences and its departments, centers and programs host hundreds of campus and community events each year. These range from conferences to lunch-and-learns to public lectures.
Planning an event can be as simple as reserving a room for a meeting or as complicated as creating a multi-day program with break-out sessions, meals, entertainment, registration websites, travel arrangements, public ticket sales, and other tasks. Planning a successful event also involves effective marketing the event to attract the desired audience, and establishing and measuring your desired outcomes.
The process can be challenging and rewarding. It also can be stressful, especially if you are frustrated by the feeling that you have forgotten something important. These tools are designed to help you accomplish the goals you set for your events.
Among the tools are a form through which you can document your event summary, objectives and evaluation to help you plan and assess your event and Frequently Asked Questions about planning your event. You also will find a printable event planning checklist to help you execute a successful event.
You will want to familiarize yourself with UNC Charlotte’s policies and forms that cover issues ranging from serving alcoholic beverages, to working with volunteers, to branding guidelines.
We have designed these tools so you can be self-sufficient in planning and managing your events. If you have questions that are not addressed by these tools, we would be happy to assist you. Please contact:
- Lynn Roberson, communications director, 704-687-0082
- Mary Ellen Frizzell, communications coordinator, 704-687-0085
- Summary, Objectives, Evaluation Form
- Event Planning Checklist
- Volunteer Agreement: Found on Office of Legal Affairs website
- Run of Show Example
- Event Budget Example
- Comment Card Example
Planning Resource Links
- UNC Charlotte Center City Events Booking
- Contracts Guidance
- Conference, Reservations and Events Services
- Events Facilities Policy
- Chartwells Catering
- Food Service Policy
- Alcoholic Beverages Policy and Required Forms
- Food: How to Procure and Pay
- Banner Finance – 49er Mart Training
- Contracts Policy (Also relates to volunteers)
- Campus Bookstore (For book signings)
- Reprographics (For other approved printers, check 49er Mart under “contracts.”)
Other Marketing Links and Tools
Words to communicate the topic or focus of the event, along with the logistical details are important and should cover registration, parking, time of the event, dress code, and other items. Equally important can be visuals to further communicate with your audience.
When developing marketing materials, stay attentive to university branding guidelines and laws which may apply – such as U.S. Copyright Law and the Americans With Disabilities Act.
These links can help you consider relevant polices and laws. They also offer examples of the types of marketing materials you may wish to consider.
- Copyright Information (Particularly for photo and illustration usage)
- Marketing Policy
- University Office of Disability Services Faculty and Staff Handbook
- University Branding
- University Logo
- College Logo
- Poster Example
- CLAS PowerPoint Template 1
- CLAS PowerPoint Template 2
- Program Example
- Comment Card Example
- News Excerpt Example
- Calendars Listing Example