Many of the CLAS Administration documents linked to on this site are Google docs in Google Apps @ UNC Charlotte
Accessing Google Docs
Sometimes UNC Charlotte faculty, staff and students will not be able to access a document in Google Docs because a) their web browsers does not support Google Apps or b) they are logged into Google Apps with another Google account.
|To log into the UNC Charlotte instance of Google Apps, see:
Google Apps @ UNC CharlotteTo see documents that have been shared with you, click on the link to “Shared with me”
|When you click on a link to a UNC Charlotte Google Doc you may be taken to a standard Google Log in page. Here’s what to do:
Multiple Google Accounts
If you are logged into Google with another Google account, you may need to take additional steps to access a UNC Charlotte Google Doc. If you click on the link to a document you believe you should have access to and you get a page with the message “You need permission to access this item” or “Select an account to use with Google Docs” do the following:
- Click on the link to “Choose a different account” or if you do NOT see your UNC Charlotte user account listed as an account to chose, then click on “Sign in to another account”
- On the “Welcome to UNC Charlotte” Google Docs page, click on the “Sign in to UNC Charlotte” link
- On the “Google Apps at UNC Charlotte” page, log in with your NinerNET username and password
When you try to open a Google Doc in an incompatible browser, a yellow bar will usually be displayed at the top of the document with the folllowing message:
Alternatively, Google will redirect you to an error page indicating the page cannot be loaded. Most commonly, this is because Internet Explorer version 7 is being used. The best solution is to either update Internet Explorer or install an alternative browser such as Firefox or Chrome, see: Google Chrome | Mozilla FireFox.
Updating Internet Explorer
If you use Banner INB, it is important NOT to update IE until we confirm it will work on later versions of IE. If you do not use Banner INB, here are instructions for updating IE:
- Open Windows Update by clicking the Start button , clicking All Programs, and then clicking Windows Update.
- In the left pane, click Check for updates.
- If any updates are found, click View available updates.
- Make sure the Internet Explorer updates that you want are selected, and then click Install. If you are prompted for an administrator password or confirmation, type the password or provide confirmation.
Installing Another Browser
If you decide you would like to use a browser other than Internet Explorer, we recommend you choose Firefox or Chrome. For more information about how to install these browsers, see: Google Chrome | Mozilla FireFox.
Updating your Default Browser
If you decide you want to make Chrome or Firefox your default browser so that whenever you click on links in your email, these links will automatically open in one of these browsers (instead of Internet Explorer), see instructions below.
- Click on the “wrench” icon on the browser toolbar (upper right corner)
- Select Settings.
- In the “Default browser” section, click Make Google Chrome my default browser.
- On a PC, click on the Firefox button and then click Options
On a Mac, from the menu bar, click on the Firefox menu and select Preferences…
- Select the Advanced panel, then click the General tab, and then click Check Now.